Sunday, July 3, 2011

Cringe-worthy, but for a Good Cause

There was only one item on the “List of the Oddest Things in Australia” and that was the cane toad racing earlier this year up in Port Douglas. Now I’m adding the #2 Oddest Thing I’ve seen here in Australia.

I was invited by friends to a fundraiser for a young lady with cancer last Saturday, June 25. While they had the typical things you’d expect at a fundraiser like raffle tickets and a live auction, there was also one of the oddest and most cringe-worthy things I’ve ever seen. A male coworker of the young lady volunteered to have his chest waxed to help raise money.

While it was clearly a very generous act and helped raise much needed money for the young lady and her family, for me it was like watching a scary movie. You really don’t want to watch, but somehow you do anyway.

It was hard to believe how many people jumped at the chance to pay anywhere from $20-$30 for the chance to wax this guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment