Thursday, June 4, 2009

Aussie Shrimp on a Barbie!

Now that I've found an apartment, I can actually start to enjoy my weekends!

This past weekend, I took at Seafood BBQ cooking class at the Sydney Fish Market. I know it's cheesy to want to make "Shrimp on a Barbie" but I figured I could still get by doing a few touristy things.

The class was a wonderful experience and considering I'm not the most adept at cooking it was very well suited for me. The first part of the class was the chef demonstrating how to make the five dishes, then there was the hands-on portion and finally the part where we enjoy the fruits of our labor (or in this case the catch of our labor).

Our menu was:

* Thai-style squid salad

* Butterflied Garfish fried in a crisp coating

* Blue mussels in butter sauce

* Yellowtail Kingfish in Ginger and Soy

* Marinated Shrimp Skewers

News Flash! I met my first famous Australian and didn't even realize it. At our cooking-table, there was five women and one brave bloke and it turns out his name is Luke Burgess and he's the scrum half of the Rugby Union Quantas Wallabies.

I didn't really get a chance to chat with him but he's AOK in my book because he gave two thumbs up to my "Shrimp on a Barbie" (check out the video - about 2 minutes in).

And while I've been reading my "Rugby for Dummies" book from Auntie Vivian and Uncle Yori, I don't know anything about the rugby teams here, so I think I may just go check out a Wallabies match and cheer for Luke!



No comments:

Post a Comment