Wednesday, January 30, 2013

In Memory of My Beloved Bachan - Oct. 23, 2012


The first words I'll write is that I loved my Bachan very much. She was at each milestone in my life, at my high school graduation and then at my college graduation at Mount Holyoke. 

And I was there when Bachan went back to a past milestone: Heart Mountain Relocation Center in Wyoming which was one of the 10 concentration camps where the Japanese-Americans were relocated to during WWII. It was also where Bachan gave birth to my Mother. 

I’ll never forget the remote and vast emptiness where Bachan and the family were interned for years in the middle of nowhere just outside of Cody, Wyoming.  The blistering heat was almost unbearable, I remember not even wanting to get out of the air conditioned rental car.  

It takes a person with a strong constitution to survive the incredible heat in the summers and  harsh wind and freezing temperatures in the winters of Wyoming in the poorest of living conditions for not one but many years.  If you consider what we’re used to living with today, you can begin to imagine the strength and determination it took to care for two young children with only the most basic of conveniences.

I also admired Bachan for her solid work ethic. Whether working on a flower farm growing up, at Aki's restaurant or Gichan's mise, Bachan worked hard. And growing up she said it was likewise my responsibility to study hard. 

One of my favorite memories is when Bachan took the eldest cousins to the sunny Bahamas so that we could all create some wonderful memories and experiences on vacation together at this amazing resort right on the beach.  It’s there that I first tried scuba diving, which I still enjoy today.

In fact, my love of scuba diving ultimately led me to Australia where I dived the Great Barrier Reef and then later decided to come back ... and now I work and live here. So you could say, Bachan played a pivotal role in setting the direction of my life… and my vacations as they almost all involve scuba diving!

My favorite photo is of us in a hammock in the Bahamas. I remember it was a gorgeous sunny day and we were relaxed and giggling as we tried to get the balance right so we didn't tumble out of the hammock. 

There’s nothing like a smile, a hug and a kiss on the check from Bachan. 


I love and miss Bachan and wish she were still here so I could give her another hug, a kiss on the cheek and see her smile again. 


Love, 


Masa







No comments:

Post a Comment