Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I Love Swimming with North Sydney Masters

I still pinch myself every time I go swimming with the North Sydney Masters because the pool we swim in is in an el primo location right under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and next to Luna Park!

Workouts are Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the evening and on Sunday morning (an extra long 1.5 hour workout). Between spending weeknights researching online for an apartment (which I've since secured a place in Surry Hills) and getting introduced to as many of the Australian press as possible for drinks after work, I haven't been making as many workouts as I'd like but hopefully that'll change soon.

This past Sunday, there was an Aussie BBQ (my first) after practice and thinking it'd be a great opportunity to meet the other swimmers I headed to the pool and my visiting friend Venecia graciously agreed to come along. Between reading her book, enjoying the glorious view and relaxing in the sun, she used my FlipVideo to video me swimming at the North Sydney Council Pool (fun fact: it's the pool with the most world records, but as it's a salt water pool some swimming organization said that the extra buoyancy from the salt water eliminated it from being a qualified competitive pool).

Aside from the spectacular view, a couple of other interesting facts.

* Swimmers swim clockwise down the left hand side of the lane

* For masters, they take two lanes and make it three lanes separated by a thin piece of rope so it's very tricky to stay in a straight line (no lane markers or black lines at the bottom of the pool to follow).

* It's not a good idea to shave your legs right before swimming, the salt is pretty strong

* Australian swimmers are very fast!

* They have an open water swim coach, so maybe I'll finally figure out how to sight the buoys in the open water





No comments:

Post a Comment