Sunday, August 2, 2009

It's a Phenomenon - Trivia Night!

While the U.S. has Jeopardy and Trivia Pursuit, Australia has “Fame Trivia Night”! My coworker, Keith invited me to join he and his wife and their friends for trivia night at the Freeway Hotel (they call all pubs “hotels”) in Artarmon.

I imagined it would have the solemnity and seriousness of a chess tournament but to my surprise it had more of a bingo game at a local community center fun and easy going feel to it. There were people of all ages and backgrounds in very jovial spirits socializing with friends while a very well organised master of ceremonies named Tim led us through two rounds of 20 trivia questions with some bonus questions interspersed throughout.

We decided upon “7-Up” as our team name even though there were only 6 of us (one person called in sick). And in a funny coincidence we came in 7th place which means we won $30 in drink vouchers. I’ll fess up immediately that my contribution was minor (more on that later) and the others were brilliant when it came to world history, music and geography.

I will do a call out to my best friend Michelle who all night I kept think “Shell would totally kick a** at trivia night” because there were several music soundtracks (where you had to know the artist, the song or the chorus) and movie questions.

I was not a total dead weight to my team as I did contribute answers to four questions:

Q: What was the name of the Lone Rangers partner? What was the name of the partner’s horse? Tonto, Scout

Q: What are the four United States that border Texas? Oklahoma, New Mexico, Louisiana and Arkansas (I didn’t get Arkansas correct, I guessed Colorado – oops).

Q: What happened on the 8th day of Christmas in the popular Christmas carol? Eight maids are milking

Q: (Identify the name of the movie from a photo of) Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock in front of a house near a lake? The Lake House (I’m a big Keanu Reeves fan, how could I not get this one).


1 comment:

  1. You are correct I would kill at trivia, especially after a drink or 2

    ReplyDelete