Monday, June 7, 2010

National Capitol of Australia = Canberra

In 1908, as a compromise between Melbourne and Sydney it was decided that the capitol of Australia - Canberra - would be established between these two cities.

On Tues. April 27, I drove the 3.5 hours from Sydney south to Canberra to work for a few days from our office there and to support media interviews at the Network Centric Warfare Conference.

Canberra is a lot like Washington, DC. It's also a planned city built on a grid pattern with many long streets lined with trees with the capitol building at one end and the Australian War Memorial at the other end.

Before driving back home, I visited the Australian War Memorial and I have to admit I didn't expect the museum to be as extensive as it was. Meaning, I didn't think that Australia - being so far away "down under" - was involved with as many wars as it was. After visiting the museum and it's multiple levels and wings, I learned that Australians were fought in all the wars the UK was involved with as well as those in their region (this included WWI, WWII, Vietnam War, Korean War and the Gulf War).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Linda,
    Sounds like you're becoming a Local! We need to have your address to send you and invite. If you would send it to our sbcglobal email. I'll fill you in with more information.....Judy Y, SJC

    ReplyDelete