Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Halloween Party at My Place

On the eve of Saturday, October 30 I invited friends over to celebrate Halloween. This was initially inspired by Helen who has never been to a Halloween Party. While it's a known holiday here in Australia it's considered a holiday mostly for kids although a few articles I read reported how interest in Halloween was growing in Australia.

In my Evite I encouraged costumes but realistically didn't expect many of my friends to actually wear costumes. What a surprise to find that my friends had more Halloween spirit than I even gave them credit for!

Check out these creative costumes:



And to keep the guests spooked and scared I arranged a few fun games. This game had a premise - everyone was a Crime Scene Investigator (CSI) and as there had been a murder their job was to identify the body parts found (fingers, eye balls, brain, liver and teeth). Their task was to put their hand into these boxes and by touch only identify what was inside. As you'll see I kept the room deliberately dark and all they could use was the light from their torches (or as we would call it - a flashlight).

It was funny watching how grossed out they got:



What would a Halloween Party be like without Apple Bobbing. Both Matt and Thomas did an incredible job bobbing for apples. Meanwhile Lisa and I need to work on our technique of either grabbing the stems with our teeth or using the walls of the container more strategically.



Now, for the coup de grace - the Halloween Pumpkin which I literally had to goto 4 stores before I found this ONE pumpkin. I swear it was the last pumpkin in all of Sydney! Here in Australia they are so hard to come by! And can you guess how much I paid for this pumpkin - AUD$40 and it didn't even have its stem! Can you imagine an Australian going to our big pumpkin patches where there are heaps and heaps of pumpkins?



I must have mentioned a hundred times how much I love my place in Surry Hills! And the only thing it was missing was a BBQ so I could invite friends over for an Aussie Barbie. I went to BBQ Galore at Moorepark on my own and with the help of a nice young sales guy purchased my first Weber BBQ (I didn't even own one in the US). And on the eve of Halloween, Captain Pat was the Captain of my BBQ and he did an amazing job BBQ-ing for 15 friends. Well done Pat!

No comments:

Post a Comment