Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bondi to Bronte Swim: Tough Going at Bronte

This was the first swim where I started at one beach (Bondi Beach) and ended at another (Bronte Beach). It was tough going, particularly at the end when I got "dumped" at Bronte Beach.

Essentially, you're swimming along and you catch a big wave that dumps you on Bronte Beach but because it's such a long, shallow beach you either have to keep swimming in shallow water or start walking up on to the beach (which is hard as I'm exhausted from swimming) - all while battling wave, upon wave that keeps tumbling you head over heals and is so strongly pulling you back.

Here are some photos of the big waves and the surf life savers assisting us.







A few surf life savers came over to assist me but I was able to manage to get across the finish line on my own.

The Bondi-to-Bronte Swim was on Dec. 5 and was 2.4K (1.5 miles) and it took me 46:24. I placed 39/65 in my age category (F35-39). Here's the map of the course:



Here's the view of Bondi Beach - we started the swim in the middle of this beach:



Then once we rounded the corner, we headed to the beach you see here:



And here we are walking back to Bondi Beach after the swim and breakfast (interestingly, it took us longer to walk back than swim).

No comments:

Post a Comment