Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Not for the Faint of Heart: Coogee Beach Ocean Swim in 60F

In my first ocean swim for the 2010-2011 season - on Nov. 28 - I joined friends from North Sydney Masters in what is surely my coldest ocean swim to date without a wetsuit!

It was the Coogee Beach Island Challenge Ocean Swim and to kick off the season I selected a 1K (.62 miles) and completed it in 26:33 which for my age category (F35-39) I was 24/32 in my category and 118/164 of all females racing that day.

The water was 16C (60F), it was overcast with no sun and absolutely freezing. In swimming to the first buoy I could barely put my face in the water it was so cold and I felt my chest constrict and it was hard to take a full breadth it was that shockingly cold! By the time I was headed to the second buoy I'd acclimated to the temperature, yet there were strong swells on the back stretch so I'd definitely rate this one of the tougher swims.

In this FlipVideo you'll see the course I swam and then the swim finishes of my friends who did the longer 2.4 "Island Challenge" swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment