Saturday, February 5, 2011

Impressive Australian Swim Team in the Inaugural Summer Swim Series

After squad practice on Sun. Jan. 30, Robin gave me extra tickets to see the inaugural Swim Summer Series at the North Sydney Pool (the same pool I train at and which I truly believe is the best pool in the world). While I'd seen it advertised around the pool I wasn't quite sure what it was.

I checked it out and it was fun to watch! The Australian national swim team was divided into four teams (designated by colors) and over two days they competed in races and relays. One of the interesting races was called "knockouts" and it involved a swimmer from each team swimming a stroke for 50 meters and the slowest swimmer was "knocked out". Then the remaining 3 swimmers had 2 minutes to line up again and swim the same stroke for another 50 meters with the slowest swimmer being "knocked out" so that the final time it was down to 2 swimmers. The butterfly knockout was impressive - it also showed how fit the swimmers are - to see them swim 50 meters of butterfly three times over in fast succession swimming at an all out sprint was very impressive!

No comments:

Post a Comment