Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Backstroke Needs a lot of Work!

The swim squad I swim with - North Sydney Masters - hosted the 2011 Sensational Summer Sprints (Sat. Feb. 12 at 7 p.m.) at our pool in Milson's Point. This means that we're responsible for organising the raffle, marshalling swimmers so they're lined up for their races, the timing, officiating - basically everything having to do with hosting a swim carnival.

It was a busy night as not only did I help out with selling raffle tickets and timekeeping, I also swam in 3 individual races and one relay.

My times were only so-so:

* 50m Freestyle - 40.73 (last year my time was 40.75 so about the same time)
* 50m Backstroke - 55.92 (this was the first time I've gotten a time for this stroke and I was last in my age category and terribly slow; definitely a stroke I need to improve on)
* 50m Fly - 52.93 (last year my time was 53.32 so it's good to see improvement in at least one of my strokes)

I was the backstroke leg in the 4x50m Relay (age group 160-199) and our team time was 3:26.12; I didn't help the team much at all on this one. And here I thought that breast stroke was my weakest stroke...



The next morning I did the 2K swim at North Bondi and surprisingly my time was 37:35. I say "surprisingly" because the Sunday prior I did the Shelley-to-Manly 2k in 45:40. And the year prior I did the 1k swim at North Bondi in 24:51.

For the swim I followed the lead of other swimmers and took advantage of the rip which propelled me very quickly to the first buoy before I realised it! But angling in around that buoy and swimming to the next was really hard as the waves were massive!

1 comment:

  1. On the bright side each of your times is better than the last time- that is great! I am scared to think what my running times would be right now. My legs hurt just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete