Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mel Gibson, Short + Sweet and Amazing Theatre!

NIDA (pronounced n-eye-duh) stands for the National Institute of Dramatic Art and is known for being the training ground for Mel Gibson and Cate Blanchett. However, on Friday, Feb. 11 it hosted the Short + Sweet Festival which is a competition of 10 minute live theatre performances.

George's friend Maggie was the director and writer of "Night Visitors" which was (from the program) physical theatre involving movement and aerial trapeze. It was a story of young woman's journey of grief and reconnection after her boyfriends death from a car accident. It was very moving and paired beautifully with music, trapeze and dance. I voted it my favorite of the evening (and I would have voted it #1 even if Maggie wasn't a friend because it was that amazing).

Another "short + sweet" performance was meant to be a modern depiction of how inside an old woman lies the sticky, taped, fragments of a tattered heart - however - in my view it was so absurd and bizarre that it made me laugh. It literally looked like a limp sock puppet that was danced around the stage and bopped up and down on a sheet covered horizontal body.

The other "short + sweet" that I enjoyed for the societal message it conveyed was called "An Ordinary Street" and was commentary on how on an ordinary street in Australia people are starting to chose to not notice or care when things are falling apart for one of their neighbors. Frankly, I don't think this is unique to Australia as many other places where there's urban sprawl - neighbors don't necessarily know each other.

Me - I'm happy to report - I know both my previous neighbors Nina, Andrew, Rocco and Bono and my new neighbor Hugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment