Monday, March 28, 2011

Missed Mardi Gras...

Did you know that Sydney is the second most populous city for gays after San Francisco? One proof point of this is the HUGE Mardi Gras parade that Sydney hosts every year and that everyone checks out. The Mardi Gras Parade is even re-broadcast that evening on one of the major TV channel.

Last year I missed it as it was on the same weekend that the North Sydney Masters had their Mollymook Swim Weekend. But this year, Matt and his partner Thomas were having a party at their place in celebration of Thomas' party. And in the invite they said that since they lived so close to the parade route, we'd pop out and go see the Mardi Gras Parade.

But everyone was having so much fun, they didn't want to leave the party! So I missed it again this year.

Here I am on my way home from the party, running into all the parade-goers heading back from the parade.



The next morning, I supported Melody's Freshwater Surf Lifesaving Club which hosted the Barney Mullins 1.5K swim. I did the swim last year and am happy to report that I beat my time. Last year I did it in 29:56 and this year I did it in 28:11. The tricky part of this swim is that the current was strong so I was almost pushed to shore so had to backtrack a bit to the orange buoy before I could swim to shore and the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment