Monday, January 27, 2014

Once Again: Sculpture by the Sea...

I'm fairly certain I've been almost every year to Sculpture by the Sea (Oct. 27, 2013) which is an outdoor display of art from local Australian artists that's presented along a spectacular coast line from Bronte beach to Bondi beach.

Kate, Jackie and I each had our favorites as we walked along the shoreline on a rather chilly afternoon.


Since I'm in high tech and "cloud' is a hot trend, this "cloud" of colorful plastic toys was amusing to me.


This was a very original art piece, made from the Yellow Pages of the Phone Book, which nobody uses much any more.  So I liked to artists portrayal of how this is saving trees (not necessarily palm trees) and recycling these yellow pages into this art work. 


This was one of the eerier art works, we could quite figure out the symbolism of this skeleton riding a bicycle off this upward ramp carrying a heavy ball on its back. Strange...


I have this fascination now with weedy sea dragons, with my two most recent local dives in the Sydney area featuring this fascinating creature that's quite common in Bondi as the plaque below states.


This glass ball reverses the image you see through it, thus you see the sky at the bottom.  A literal depiction of seeing the world turned upside down.  I like the idea of changing perspectives to see things a different way. 



What I'll never forget is afterwards we warmed up and had dinner at an Italian restaurant where in my dessert of gelato there was a huge staple!  I won't be going back there again!

No comments:

Post a Comment