Friday, December 18, 2009

Sydney Fashion Weekend

When I say it's dizzying to go shopping in Sydney, it's not because shopping makes me sick, rather there are so many new names of stores and clothing labels it's hard to know which are the quality brands, which are Australian labels and what's popular.

So when I read that Nov. 14 was the last day of Sydney Fashion Weekend, I asked my friend Sandy if she was interested in checking it out.

It was the best day! Sandy was able to navigate us to the stores that had the best deals (i.e., high fashion, great prices), we shopped with a lovely glass of muscato champagne in our hands (ok, we didn't stop at one, we had two glasses) and we timed everything perfectly so we could see all three fashion shows featuring the summer season and still make it back to the stores to get the price mark downs as the vendors were eager to sell everything vs. taking it back to the store.

I got a long summer tube dress from two women designers from Queensland - Sandy kept referring to it as a "maxi dress" but that reminds me too much of a particular feminine product so I'll just say it's a gorgeous black tube top dress with a long leopard print skirt. Frankly, if Sandy hadn't encouraged me to try it on, I wouldn't have realized how great it looked on (vs. on the hanger).

My take aways of Sydney fashion: very, very short dresses, girly/feminine is in and it's all contrasted with big, big purses (to the point where I'd start calling them bags).

No comments:

Post a Comment