Sunday, May 9, 2010

My One Year in Australia BBQ!

It's hard to believe but it's true! I've been in Australia for a year now!

And to celebrate it seemed appropriate to have an Aussie BBQ for my friends! Weeks ago I'd scouted out Centennial Park (which is huge) for the perfect place and I found it right next to Musgrave Pond with its willow trees, BBQ and shaded area under the picnic tables. I asked the family when they arrived to secure the spot (it's first come, first serve - no reservations) they said 7 a.m.

While I wasn't eager to be there that early for my picnic (start time of 11:30 a.m.) arriving at 8 a.m. was thankfully early enough to secure the spot.

And it turned out to be a beautiful day, the sun was out and my friends dropped by when they could throughout the day and everyone enjoyed themselves.



Emma arrived at the BBQ with Australia's national dessert - the lamington - which is a sponge cake coated in a layer of traditionally chocolate icing then sprinkled with coconut. It's named after Lord Lamington who served as Governor of Queensland from 1896 to 1901.

What a perfect dessert to end my first Aussie BBQ with!

No comments:

Post a Comment