Friday, April 12, 2013

In a Galaxy Not So Far Away . . . I saw Jar Jar Binks (aka My 1st Weedy Sea Dragon)!

Everyone that grew up in the 1980s must have seen Star Wars and the two sequels that followed at least a zillion times as it always seemed to be on reruns.

But what do I know about about the pre-quels Phantom Menance and the two that followed? I saw each episode only once and frankly all the new characters were a bit of a blur to me.

So, why is it that when I see my first Weedy Sea Dragon, my first thought is "Wow, that looks like Jar Jar Binks!" Where did that come from?

While my friend Michelle would be a pro at Trivia Night in the TV, Movies and Entertainment category, I'm the total opposite.  Recalling the character "Jar Jar Binks" is quite an amazing feat for me and now that I think more about it . . . this can only be due to the influence of my nephews who are big fans of the Star Wars movies and Star Wars Legos.

But I digress.

On Feb. 10, 2013, I was buddied up again with one of my favorite dive buddies Jackie when we went along with Pro Dive on a Sunday morning dive.

Dive # 173 on Feb. 10, 2013
Dee Why near Manly, maximum depth 29.3 meters (96 feet) for 31 minutes in 17 C (62.6 F)

Check out this video of this cuttle fish that's the size of a dog!



Dive #174 on Feb. 10, 2013
Old Man's Hat, maximum depth 22.9 meters (75 feet) for 38 minutes in 18 C (64.4 F)

When I relook at the video/photos of the weedy sea dragon, my first thought should have been, "Wow that looks like floating sea weed".



These are photos of a Weedy Sea Dragon, can you see it in the sea weed? Pretty stealth camouflage!





Can you see the cuttle fish's size in comparison to the divers in the photo? It was HUGE!



 A ray of some sort...


Nudibranchs—soft, seagoing slugs






 Blue grouper fish with a few friends . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment