Monday, April 15, 2013

Sydney's Mardi Gras Parade

Every year since I arrived in Australia, I've missed Sydney's Mardi Gras Parade.  Usually it's because the North Sydney Masters Swim Club hosts its Mollymook Swim Weekend at the same time.

But this year, as Cisco Live! Conference was earlier than usual (first week in March) I had to head to Melbourne on the Sunday so was able to check out the Mardi Gras Parade on Saturday night, March 2.

The parade route ends not far from where I live so I was able to amble over at around 7:30 p.m.  The parade starts at 7:45 p.m. and I was headed towards the end of the route so I was surprised at how crowded it was when I arrived.  

It was great to see so many, many different groups marching in the parade - ranging from all the police, fire, religious organisations, military, schools, corporates, sports teams as well as those that support the gay and lesbian community - and the parade went on well past 9:30 p.m. It was a very spirited parade with incredible support from the crowd.  




No comments:

Post a Comment