Monday, April 26, 2010

Ba-Ba-Sheep's Milk

On the advice of Ros from my Bed & Breakfast, Wanderer's Rest, after lunch and a bit of shopping at Kingscote, I go and check out Shep's art studio at the Bay of the Shoals. He paints beautiful landscape architecture - the paintings that stands out the most in my mind is are the Kangaroo Island mountain and field landscapes bordered by wired fences that extend out into the "white" frame of the painting. The seascapes reminded me of Claude Monet's paintings as Shep did a superb job weaving in yellow, reds and other colors to create dimension and interest in the water and waves.

Check out more of his paintings here.

Then I drove my little economy rental car "off road" to the Island Pure Sheep Dairy. Upon arriving I was shown into a room where I watched a video on the sheep milk making process but the real action was afterwards as I watched several ewes (female sheep) getting milked. Check out the video below, but key things were:

* These are happy sheep, while they're getting milked they are eating their hearts out.
* They hardly notice when the floor moves them backwards (have you ever seen sheep moonwalk backwards?) to the equipment that collects the milk.
* The sheep are very orderly, following each other in a line after their milk's been collected.
* Sheep are quite cute!



And after watching a few rounds of sheep getting milked, I tasted a variety of products from Island Pure Sheep Dairy including cheese and yogurt. I enjoyed the "super cheese" the most which is kefalotori and I definitely preferred the yogurt with the hone (the plain yogurt was too sharp and bitter to my taste).

No comments:

Post a Comment