Saturday, April 10, 2010

Quaint City of Adelaide

Australia has 6 states and 2 major territories. For the Easter long weekend, I checked off one more (#5). I'll be going to #6 at the end of April and have to figure out how to make my way to #7 and 8 ...

1. (State) New South Wales (Sydney)
2. (State) Victoria (Melbourne)
3. (State) Queensland (Brisbane, Noosa, Cairns, Great Barrier Reef)
4. (Territory) Northern Territory (Alice Springs, Uluru Rock, Darwin)
5. (State) South Australia (Adelaide, Kangaroo Island)
6. (Territory) Australian Capital Territory (Canberra)
7. (State) Western Australia (Perth)
8. (State) Tasmania (Hobart)

In Australia, Good Friday and Easter Monday (yes, Monday!) are national holidays. Since I arrived on Good Friday last year I'd experienced how Sydney basically shuts down and everything is closed. Back then, I'd made a mental note to myself, "plan to travel somewhere fun" because everyone else left town too.

So why Adelaide? Well, it's only an 1 hour 45 minute flight so just right for a long weekend, the Barossa Wine Valley is world renowned for its shiraz/red wine and I was looking to build up my wine collection since I had to give away all my wine before moving to Australia and friends from swimming had just come back from Kangaroo Island and had a terrific time!

Adelaide's known as the "City of Churches" and the "City of Festivals" yet I didn't see that many churches nor did I time things right to see one of their famous festivals. I actually found Adelaide a very quiet and quaint city.

I checked out the Central Markets:



I couldn't miss Haight's Chocolates (founded in Adelaide) because every store I saw had a line out the door with people waiting to buy these gigantic chocolate Easter eggs! I couldn't resist buying these cute little bilby stuffed animals with chocolates for my nephew Kai and niece Kalea.

No comments:

Post a Comment