Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dust Turns Sydney Skies Red

When I woke up this morning, my bedroom was cast in red light. Still groggy with sleep a couple of thoughts rambled through my mind - it must be a red dawn, the sun's rising - but in either case it was a sign to go back to sleep because it was too early. Then I realized that my alarm had gone off and as I was listening to the radio, I heard the radio personalities talking about how "this is the biggest dust storm in Sydney in 70 years" and how 100 kmph winds from the outback was putting a red cast over Sydney. Then they proceeded to warn those with breathing problems, the elderly and young children to stay inside.

Well that woke me up and had me wandering to the front patio where I saw that there was this red fog of dust across the city. Here's a video from my front patio.



Even as I drove into work, I could see all these cars with coats of red dust (mine was parked in a garage so dust-free). And for one of the few times as I crossed over the Sydney Harbour Bridge, I couldn't even see the Sydney Opera House

Note: It's become a habit to take a look at the Opera House as I commute into work - it's my way of pinching myself that "yes, I actually do live in Sydney" and I get the amazing pleasure of crossing the Sydney Harbour Bridge and viewing the signature Sydney Opera House on my way to work.

Take a look at this article which has a photo of the pool where I swim at and the Sydney Harbour Bridge - click here.

I didn't go swimming this evening - not so much because of the red dust though - but that's a good explanation. Instead, for the second time I went to Fame Trivia Night at the Freeway Hotel. I guess it's a good thing my team (this evening we named ourselves "Eat my Dust") had an American (me) as I was able to handedly answer the U.S. geography question (What city on the Mississippi is the Gateway to America? St. Louis; What river runs through Washington, DC? Potomac River).

No comments:

Post a Comment