Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tomu - It's a Smooth Bark Apple Tree

My brother Tomu has this fascination with trees (don't know where it comes from, but he loves to learn about different/new trees).

When I saw this one, I thought hmm, it's smooth, has no bark and rather than straight angular lines like most trees it has curved branches.

Later on the bushwalk, there was a tree identifier sign that said its official name is the Smooth Bark Apple Tree and its natural bumps are used to create bowls to carry water.

If you saw the other FlipVideo of the "bleeding gum tree" that's actually called a Blood Wood Tree and its sap is reportedly used to preserve fishing lines.

1 comment:

  1. That is a very unique looking tree. I actually gained a new appreciation for trees since I hardly see any being in NYC. Same goes for green grass and fresh air. :)

    ReplyDelete