Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Oops, it's Paul not Chopper

While I read about "mateship" here in Australia (it means a strong friendship between blokes - or men - although more than a few times I've heard "mate" used in a more generic sense as well) I didn't know how popular it was to give your friends "nicknames".

The most straight-forward are the nicknames where you're just adding a sound to their last name (Witts -> Wittsy, Hughes -> Hughsey, Hooper -> Hoops). The other nicknames come from some "only an Australian would know" kind of things.

Take my Cisco colleague Michael Reid also known as "Chopper". And why might you ask? Well, there's this notorious Australian criminal,author and celebrity (it seems Australia just can't get away from its convict past) named Mark "Chopper" Read and I'm just going to take a wild guess that "Mark Read" -> "Michael Reid" -> Chopper. Are you following me?

Anyway, at this Cisco celebration I kept calling Paul, Chopper (don't you think they sorta look a little similar) any way I got it sorted out, won't make that mistake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment