Saturday, September 12, 2009

Flash back to Violin Lessons – Enjoying the Australian Chamber Orchestra

On 09-09-09 (an auspicious day if you’re into numerology), I was invited to see the Australian Chamber Orchestra and it was a total flash back to when I took violin lessons in 4th grade all the way up to 8th grade (I stopped before high school because that was when it started counting for a grade and I wasn’t very good and didn’t want orchestra to bring down my high school GPA).

I was also thinking about my best friend Ana who played in the orchestra with me and how after a few years of the violin she switched to the bass. And coincidentally she emailed me the next day to say she was thinking about me! And I was thinking about her too, pretty freaky coincidence, huh Ana…

The orchestra was amazing and all the more impressive because I know how hard it is to coordinate the up/down bow movements, how hard it is to do vibrato and to keep up with a particularly fast pace of music and to move your fingers from the top of the neck of the violin all the way towards the bridge.

And keeping with the theme of significant dates, afterwards we went to the Spice Temple where all their cocktails are named after the Year of the Chinese (or Japanese) calendar. I ordered a horse, but got a rabbit instead (Jasmine tea soda with aromatic organic cucumber vodka, and smashed cucumber - $16AUD).

1 comment:

  1. That is sooo funny! I remember your violin playing days and you made the right choice as it definitely would have lowered your GPA even if you were a C student. In all honestly, I would've lowered my GPA too with my poor clarinet playing and I wasn't a salutatorian.
    Tomu

    ReplyDelete