Saturday, September 12, 2009

Pub Crawl Across Thredbo Ski Resort

On the 6 hour drive from Sydney to Thredbo Ski Resort we stopped at Goulburn for dinner. And this is where I had my first encounter with “Famous Big Australian Icons”. Essentially, small towns all around Australia have randomly selected an every day “thing” and made it really, really big for tourists to take lots of photos and videos of on their visit. Now that I think about it, it’s really a good marketing idea – I mean without the “Big Ram” in Gouldburn I probably wouldn’t have taken a FlipVideo.

While the snow in New South Wales (state in which I reside) is nothing compared to Lake Tahoe, it is cool to think that I’m skiing in August (Aug. 28-30).

The first day of skiing, it rained cats and dogs so the skiing was very, very poor. My friend Sandy and I did a few runs, waited out the rain and then when it let up we did a few more runs. But candidly, the day was mostly spent at the pub. Drinks of the day were coffee with liquors and gluvine (warm German alcoholic beverage).

The next day – Sunday – our goal was to ski more than we drank. And we did alright. We even made it up to “Black Sallies” which was a 15 minute lift on these wooden, rickety chairs to what seemed like the top of the world. When we finally arrived at Black Sallies for “Schnappy-hour” at the top, there were maybe 10 people there and we felt like truly fearless skiers that had persevered to arrive at Timbuktu as only few others have.

1 comment:

  1. Love this Linda - you put it together so well!

    ReplyDelete