Monday, February 8, 2010

Dancing All Night Long!

After we left the Australian Open we went to dinner at Blue Train at Southbank and then went to P.J. O'Brien's which is this great Irish pub that on Saturday night had a fantastic 80's cover band called Sexual Chocolate.

We had the BEST time ever dancing to popular 80s music until 2 a.m. We didn't want to leave but one of the gals that was with us had to bicycle back home (hard to believe, but she did).

I had an "a-ha" moment at one point during the evening when the band played Men at Work's song "Down Under" and everyone in the cloud went crazy! It was akin to Bruce Springsteen singing "Born in the USA" or the Beach Boys singing "California Girls" or Billy Joel singing "New York State of Mind" ... you get the picture. It wasn't until everyone was wildly singing the song out loud that it occurred to me that this Australia's jump up and down, rallying song.

And my friend Michelle will get a laugh at this as I made another lyrical mistake many years ago ** - all this time I thought the "Down Under" lyric was "He just smiled and gave me a bacon-like sandwich" when in reality it's "vegemite sandwich". Now that I listen to the song and read along with the lyrics I don't know how I got "bacon-like sandwich" but I suppose it's in my genes (my Dad thought it was "Blue Jeans, that's my girl" when Michael Jackson was actually singing "Billy Jean, that's my girl").

Note **: Shell and I argued (and of course I lost and should have known better that when it comes to song lyrics she's always right) about the Billy Joel "Only the Good Die Young" lyric which I swear sounded like he sang "captured on her rosary" when actually (and it pains me to say this) it's "counting on your rosary".



On the way back to Val's place we got the munchies and stopped for something to eat. There at this Asian bakery (that was open at 3 a.m. in the morning!), I saw what I'll call this "Funny Man" cookie which I thought my nephew would appreciate since just a month prior we'd baked cookies for Santa with M&M's.



The next day (Sunday), we checked out Chapel Street which many, many blocks long of cutting edge fashion designer stores! And being the end of January and nearing the end of the Summer holiday, there were lots of sales! I got a great, sexy sequin top for 50% off the original price!



On Monday, I worked and that evening checked out Federation Square where thousands of people were watching the Australian Open and at the same time watching the various dance and singing groups rehearse for the big Australia Day concert performance the following night.

No comments:

Post a Comment