Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Everything happens in threes? I hope not!

Have you ever heard the saying that "everything happens in threes"? Well I certainly hope not! February's been a bad luck month as it relates to my driving/cars with:

1. Parking ticket of $84. Parking signs are so confusing here - I looked around and couldn't immediately see any parking meters either. Now I know to pay particular attention to what's written under "2P" - it'll either say nothing (meaning you don't have to put money in the meter) or "ticket" (meaning I should have looked harder for a parking meter). Note: 2P means it's a 2 hour time zone - who knows what the "P" stands for...



2. Speeding ticket for going 95km/h (60mph) in an 80km/h (50mph) zone on the Eastern Distributor. This was the first time I got a speeding ticket in the mail because my speeding was caught not by a police officer but a speeding camera in the tunnel. When I paid online (yikes it was an expensive $197 ticket) the New South Wales State Debt Recovery Office was kind enough to also provide 3 photos of my offence which I was also allowed to download for free (and which I share with you below).

And with this offence I also received 3 demerit points. In looking online, if an Australian driver gets 12 demerit points, their driver's license may be taken away. Since I'm not allowed to apply for an Australian Driver's License (only permanent residents can get one) and am permitted to drive on my California Driver's License (which had been stolen, but I've gotten it successfully replaced), I wonder what relevance 3 demerit points have to me?  Well, I'm going to be more cognizant of the speed limits so I won't have to find this out!





No comments:

Post a Comment