Saturday, March 27, 2010

Almost a year later, back at Balmoral Beach

On Sunday, April 19, 2009 I was still relatively new to Australia (arrived on April 10) when I walked down to Balmoral Beach. It started to pour rain so I headed to a cafe for a skinny flat white when I received the call from my brother than my nephew Tyler had been born!

Now not quite a year later (March 21) I was back again at Balmoral Beach to do a 1k swim. I can tell I'm improving as for more and more of the swims I'm finding I'm "swimming in a crowd". The down side is that you're swimming into bubbles, everyone's maneuvering around you, kicking you, you're scrunched up and can't get a good swimming line. And then of course there's all the people who swim wide and only realize it as they see the buoy so veer in close at the last minute to get around it ... it's like a 5 lanes of highway suddenly narrowing to one lane.

The last 1K swim was the Bondi Classic (24:51) back in February so I've improved considerably! Yeah!

Here are my results:

Balmoral Swim for Cancer 1 km Harbour Swim
21 March 2010
Bib: 0330
LINDA HORIUCHI OFFICIAL TIME: 19:54

420 of 838 TOTAL finishers. 49.88%

127 of 344 FEMALE finishers. 63.08%

24 of 95 F30-39 finishers. 74.74% (this last stat is one I'm most proud of considering that at 39 I'm the oldest in this very wide age category)

No comments:

Post a Comment