Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sydney Harbour Swim with an Amazing View!

This was the one swim I knew I wanted to do before I even moved here! My friend Don from the Decathlon Club had taken a cruise to Sydney about this time last year and was so disappointed that he was going to miss the Sydney Harbour Swim. Upon returning, he said "Linda, when you move to Sydney, you have to do this swim!"

And so I did! This morning I did the 2k Sydney Harbour Swim departing from the Man O'War Steps, with a sightline to a very large naval ship, into Farm Cove and then back again to the Opera House. I completed the swim in 32:34 and place 14/21 in my F35-39 age category and 323/523 overall.

The water was quite cold upon jumping in but wasn't so bad once well into the swim. There were short choppy waves and the smell of boat fuel which wasn't pleasant on the way back. But overall it was a good swim with the first leg out to the naval ship the best part. I felt I was in the thick of the pack most of the time which means I had someone to follow so I didn't exhaust myself sighting for the next buoy on my own. It did get incredibly crowded as I swam around the buoys with lots of arms and kicking legs but I managed to avoid getting hit today - phew!

The most amazing part of the swim was as I was heading into Farm Cove and breathing on my right side, I could see the Opera House and the Bridge. Not that I stopped to enjoy the view because I was focused on swimming and keeping up with this swimmer who had an unusual kick.



Michael from North Sydney Masters also did the swim, most everyone else elected to do the Shark Island swim but I got a Facebook notice from Helen saying there were a lot of stingers, so I'm glad I did the Bridge Swim, it was a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment