Saturday, March 27, 2010

Believe it or not, I am trying to cook!

But I'm hampered by the fact that I don't understand how to read the cooking functions knob on my Whirlpool oven. By trial and error I've gotten the oven to work but not knowing what setting I'm cooking on I'm constantly peering into the glass watching my food cook and it's a real pain. And as it is I don't need much excuse not to cook, but sometimes I do crave a nice steak...

Here's the stove/oven which is quite old.



It's a Whirlpool oven model #6AKP-603/1X and I've already emailed Whirlpool but no response. And I've searched high and low and there's no operating manual in the apartment either. If you can help me to decipher these totally random symbols, that would be much appreciated!

There are three knobs - the one here on the far left turns on the oven and can be set for a certain number of minutes:



The knob in the middle sets the temperature and this knob on the right is the one that confuses me because I think it's supposed to be settings for bake, broil and who knows what else!



Here are close-ups of the symbols. The knob has an "F" on the top which I assume means cooking functions or settings (5 of them):

1. Here's the three-pronged star in a box:



2. Here's the three-pronged star with a ratcheted line on top (all in a box):



3. Here's just the box with a ratcheted line at the top:



4. Here's the three-pronged star in a box with a line at the top and bottom:



5. Here's just the box with a line at the top and the bottom:



Cooking's already enough of a mystery to me, please help me figure out what the heck these settings/symbols mean!

5 comments:

  1. My guess this is a convection oven.
    The mystery knob is how you are using the oven.
    Fan only with no heating element? Would this be dehydrating?
    Fan on, with broiler on
    No Fan, Broiler on
    Fan on, top and bottom heating elements on (convection oven)
    Fan off, top and bottom heating on (standard oven what you are used to in the states)

    Do a quick search for convection oven so you can understand what this does. not sure about all the setting and how you would use them. Good luck.
    Tets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you all for your comments! And a big THANK YOU to Ry, Janine and James who sent me a PDF of the instruction manual to my oven! And Tets, you were totally on the right track - if by "convection oven" you mean one that I can bake in...

    1. Three-pronged star in a box = Fan Function (to defrost at an ambient temperature). I think I'll be using the microwave to defrost things so won't be using this function ...

    2. Three-pronged star with a ratcheted line on top = Turbo Grill Function (Grill + Fan to grill larger pieces of meat like roast beef, pork roasts and chicken). Unless I cook a huge feast I don't think I'll be using this function either.

    3. Box with a ratcheted line at the top = Grill Function to grill small pieces of meat and to brown bread. I think I'll mostly be using this function!

    4. Three-pronged star in a box with a line at the top and bottom = Pastry Function with top and bottom heating + fan so cooking can be completed on two different runners (which I assume means levels). If I decide to bake brownies or blue berry muffins, this would come in handy!

    5. Just the box with a line at the top and the bottom = Static Function with top and bottom heating to bake cakes, meat, roasts, fish, bread and pizza and only one runner can be used. So you use this if you want to bake something on one level? And how would you bake meat? I don't get this one, seems to be a bit of a hybrid for baking and grilling. Too confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I have a soft copy of the user manual for this oven model. I am using the same model in my apartment. If you want I can email it to you. Regards, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, would you mind sharing the manual please? my email is ratmech2018@gmail.com, thank you. :-)

      Delete
    2. Hi Michael, would you mind sharing the manual please? My email is grant_madelaine@yahoo.com

      Delete