Saturday, March 27, 2010

While on the subject of food...it's expensive here in Australia!

It certainly feels like I'm paying more for my groceries than I'm used to in the U.S. or maybe I just need a reality check and it's about the same. What do you think?

2 Liters of Skim Milk: AUD$4.66




500Grams of 100% Australian Passion Fruit Yogurt = AUD$4.99




Two skinless chicken breast fillets (.5 kilograms total) = AUD$7.59 (I had the other one for dinner tonight)



And last week I established myself with a general physician and had to have a few tests including getting blood drawn for a cholesterol test and as I HATE needles, I rewarded myself with Ben & Jerry's ice cream. I expected it to be expensive, but not this expensive - and they didn't even have the best flavors. They only had vanilla, strawberry shortcake, chocolate cookie dough, chunky monkey and chocolate fudge brownie. What happened to "Everything but the kitchen sink"?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah Linda, food is definitely more expensive than in the States. That certainly goes for eating out too - way overpriced here. Give me a cheap hole in the wall Mexican joint any day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brave brave girl - a pint can be found for $2.99.

    Did you realize when you bought the chicken breast you would have to cook it? Ah Linda you have come a long way - knowing your way in the grocery store - past the deli section - and then working the magic in your kitchen.

    Can't believe your adventures are coming up on one year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is definitely expensive even compared to NYC- and after the currency conversion. Whew

    ReplyDelete