Monday, September 6, 2010

Beautiful Weekend of Skiing at Thredbo!

It took us 8 hours to drive from Sydney to Thredbo for a ski weekend (and 6 hours to drive back)! Thank goodness we had amazing snow and beautiful weather (Aug. 20-22)!

Actually - it'd be more accurate to say that my friends Georgina (George) and her husband Paul drove and I kept everyone company with lively conversation and snacks. Thank you Paul and George for driving!

On the way up, it started to snow and as Thredbo Ski Resort is in a National Park we're required to have chains so we got a little instruction:



Now before I show the next FlipVideo I have to do a mea culpa - I confused the NY Mets hat for a NY Yankees hat. And my brother's a big Mets fan so I'm embarrassed I couldn't tell the difference! They're so similar?!???

Here's an image of a NY Mets Baseball Cap (the "Y" is below and overlapping the "N")



And here's an image of a NY Yankees Baseball Cap ("N" and "Y" are right on top of each other)



Now that I've got my mea culpa out of the way - you'll see in this series of FlipVideo clips the chronicles of what I'll call "Survival of the NY Yankees Baseball Cap (which I continually call a Mets Cap) on the slopes of Thredbo Ski Resort".

Essentially at the very top of the Kosciuszko Express Chair Lift (see ski trail map here) - the highest elevation, it was very, very windy and cold. When we reached the very top, Paul's NY Yankees baseball cap blew away (it was not attached in any way) and miraculously he was able to ski down and recover it.

Then just before lunch at the exact same spot - the NY Yankees baseball cap blew away again and -again luckily - Paul was able to ski down and recover it!

It became the running joke of the weekend. And the happy ending to the story is that the NY Yankee's Baseball Cap survived the weekend and went home with Paul.



In a weekend of "small wonders" George was confronted with of all animals - a wombat on the ski slopes of Thredbo. I'd seen the wombat (which looks like a very, very fat cat) from the ski lift on the way up and was excited to see it dash by and pause to say "hello" to George so that I had enough time to pull out my FlipVideo and take this:



In trying to go up the Snowgums ski lift, we found ourselves on the opposite mountain (we ended up going on Merritt's chair lift). So we had to traverse back and somehow found ourselves skiing down the slope right under the Gunbarrel chair lift. It was a tough go!



This is my second ski trip to Thredbo and the weather was much, much better! Last year it rained and the snow was more like slush so I spent more time in the pubs/ski lodge than on the slopes.

But that's not to say that we avoided the pubs entirely...we still found plenty of time to hit Black Sally's for "Schnappy Hour" where we did schnapps shots.

1 comment:

  1. This was bliss...!!! What a weekend. What a wombat. So much fun. End of weekend pronounced by blue skies, sunshine, and music.

    ReplyDelete