Monday, September 6, 2010

Planning for Boxing Day...

My friends Venecia and Sam are coming to visit me for Christmas and so I've begun thinking about things to do while they're here. Plus as this'll be my first Christmas/New Year's here in Australia I'm really looking forward to the experience myself!

One of the things I've been told is a great thing to do on Boxing Day (Dec. 26) is to check out the Sydney-to-Hobart Sailing Race that starts at 1 p.m. near the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Then the sail boats leave between North and South Head and then all the way down to Hobart, Tasmania. Watson's Bay is on the top of what's referred to as "South Head".

Evidently a great view can be had if you take the ferry to an island close to the race start and alternatively at Watson's Bay which is right where the sail boats pass before they start to sail South. After swimming yesterday (Sept. 5) where we did a 3.8k swim and lunch, I had some free time so I thought I'd check out Watson's Bay (see map below - on the far right in the middle).



Watson's Bay is really a beautiful and quaint town with amazing views of Sydney Harbour and the ocean. There's a nice national park which has very easy walking paths that lead you to these magestic views. There's also Doyle's on Watson's Bay and it's right on the beach, with a perfect view of the harbour so I booked us a table for lunch on the outdoor patio so we can enjoy the sail boats and the ambiance of a day at the races on Boxing Day.

While Boxing Day is sure to be beautiful as we'll be right in the middle of summer, when I visited yesterday it was quite windy. In fact it was so windy the birds hovered instead of truly flying. Check out this FlipVideo:

No comments:

Post a Comment